This is an excellent Christmas or advent time recipe which is typical for southern Germany, Austria and Alto Adige (Italy).
Preparation time: 60 mins
Cooking time: 8 to 10 mins
Very tasty and also healthy vanilla “Kipferl” without sugar, sweetened with dates.
- 100g ground almonds
- 50g ground hazelnuts
- 130g spelt
- 100g soft butter
- 100g soft dates
- dash of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground vanilla
- Some extra ground almonds and ground vanilla
- Put the soft dates in a mixer and mix until finely cut. Put the nuts in a pan and heat until you can smell the nuts. Then mix all ingredients together.
- Form the dough into a ball and leave for 30 minutes in a cool place.
- Knead the dough again (without flour!). Pull off small pieces and roll them until about 5 cm (2 inches) long, curve them into half-moon shapes and press the ends together a little to get the typical shape.
- Heat the oven to 180 °C using top-heat.
- Put the vanilla Kipferl onto oven trays with baking paper and bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Keep your eye on them as they shouldn’t get too dark.
- Take out and allow to cool off. Mix the extra ground almonds with a dash of vanilla and roll the warm Kipferl in the mixture.
- When the Kipferl are completely cooled then put in a tin to store.